Thursday, May 13, 2010

1:14 Scaled Cessna 152


During the Summer of 2007 I was passing by Toronto Buttonville Airport. A flying school's poster of an introductry flight caught my eye, which at the end turns into my first ever piloting experience. To this day I still remember the excitement I had when I first climbed into that Cessna cockpit...

A year later, I decided to build my own Cessna 152, a scaled down remote control one of course. I wanted to try hand drafting the 1:14 scaled down plans by just looking into varies picture an aircraft. At first it was a bit difficult to draw it to scale, but eventually I think I got it right. I was quite happy with it after it was done.


Building the aircraft wasn't all that hard. I simply copy the plans onto a sheet of 4mm foam, and hot glued all the pieces together. All the eletronics are hidden inside the airframe which made this little aircraft incredibly scaled looking. I also drew some details onto the fuselage, just to make it look more like a real Cessna 152.

Flying this tiny RC plane is such a pleasure, as long as the wind is calm. I had the C.G balanced point shifted a bit foward just to give it more stability in windy condition. The 7.2V 2cell 800mah Li-Po battery proved to be more than enough to power this ultralight plane. Landing is also easy. I simply shut the the motor and let it glides itself down. Overall I am very happy with this project. I enjoyed a lot building and flying the 1:14 Cessna 152.




No comments:

Post a Comment